Deadly Shrubs You Do Not Want in Your Garden

If you’re a keen gardener, you want the best looking, most vibrant and fragrant plants in your garden, not something poisonous, smelly, or just downright scary. Here’s our guide to some of the most dangerous plants on earth that you definitely don’t want in your flower bed!

Skunk Cabbage

As you might guess by the name, this plant is not a pleasant smelling one. It actually smells like a skunk, it looks quite ugly, and if certain parts of it are eaten it can be deadly, thanks to calcium oxalate, a toxin it contains which can burn the skin and cause organ failure!

Buttercup

Yes, we know this was the sweet little thing you put under your chin to see if you liked butter (come on, we all did it!). Do you remember getting a little red mark under your chin? This is because the flowers release a toxin that causes a temporary rash. Not only that, if the plant is eaten, it can poison animals and people. Best just to admire this one from now on.

Giant Hogweed

This plant causes skin damage because it releases a sap that reacts with the sun and burns through skin and other tissues causing lesions. If the sap gets into the eyes it can cause blindness.

Angel Trumpet

This plant contains three potent toxins, one of which is a hypnotic, with the power to turn people into virtual zombies! One man was targeted by criminals who threw the toxin in his face, and he entered a trance-like state and loaded the contents of his apartment into their van.

Gympie-Gympie

This tree, native to Australia, is known as one of the world’s most dangerous trees. People who’ve came into contact with its leaves have reported that the sensation was like being sprayed with hot acid. If you’re unlucky enough to come into contact with this unfriendly plant, you can experience burning sensations on your skin for up to two years! The plant is so dangerous that bush workers working in the vicinity have to wear HAZMAT suits.

Red Tide Algae

This algae turns the waters around some of the world’s coastlines a strange rust colour and it’s a very potent neurotoxin. It’s absorbed very quickly by shellfish and then when the shellfish are ingested by people or animals, it’s very deadly. It paralyses the limbs and the body’s breathing mechanisms.

If in doubt, stick to pansies and tulips in your garden!