The chillier nights are on their way, and if you have a wood burner or open fire at home, you’ll know the joy of feeling cosy as the nights draw in. You’ll also know how it feels to wish you didn’t have endless piles of firewood lying around. Invest in a log store and that won’t be a problem.
A log store will keep your firewood organised and most importantly, dry. Freshly chopped wood contains around 50% water and it needs to be dried out so it can be effectively used as firewood. Dry wood is easier to light and gives off more heat.
Choosing a log store
Our log stores are available in a range of different sizes, so as well as storing your supply of wood, you can also use it to keep garden tools in, especially when the weather is warmer and you don’t need to store so much wood.
Where should you put your log store?
- Keep your log store in a dry location where the logs will get plenty of air. Avoid dark or damp places.
- It’s okay if your logs get a little bit wet occasionally, as the log store will offer them enough protection.
- Is there a piece of your garden where the ground is dry, possibly somewhere that is sheltered by trees? This would be an ideal spot.
- Putting your log store against a wall is a good idea, as the wall can help to keep some of the rain off the store.
- Most importantly for you, the log store needs to be conveniently located. In the winter, are you going to want to be trudging through mud to the bottom of your garden to collect heavy logs?
What type of surface should I sit my log store on?
- Ideally, the log store should sit on a level surface, so it’s stable. If the terrain is uneven you can level it off first.
- The ground where you want your log store to be situated should be firm. You don’t want the log store to move or sink. Standing it on paving slabs is a good choice, as is any firm and dry ground. Standing the log store on top of gravel is also a good idea, as it drains quickly and less rain will splash off it and onto your logs when it rains.
- Try to keep the base of the store as dry as possible. Even though the timber we use is treated, you will find that your log store will remain in excellent condition for much longer if you keep it dry.
Our log stores are large enough to hold your supply of firewood, but compact enough to look great in your garden, on your patio, or on your driveway. They are handmade in the UK and are crafted from the highest quality materials, and you can trust them to keep your logs dry and free from pests. Click here to find your perfect log store.