10 Questions with Steve of The Rustic Workshop
The Rustic Workshop creates handmade furniture to enhance your garden. Whether you are after a chair for the corner or even a kids climbing frame The Rustic Workshop has something for you.
1) How did you come to specialise in creating handmade rustic furniture?
My father in law and I decided that we didn’t like what was on offer so we set about designing our own style of Rustic Garden Furniture.
2) What types of furniture is the Rustic Workshop able to create?
We make all sizes of garden benches, chairs, tables and arbours. For example, in the past, we have combined the bench with the arbour as one piece.
3) Do your customers need to be aware of any regulations/planning permission for larger builds?
You shouldn’t require any special permission. However, we always advise that you double-check any planning regulations to be sure.
4) Which piece of work are you most proud of?
My favourite piece is the two-seat bench. It is made from pressure treated softwood or Chestnut and oak, the Chestnut and Oak bench is the better of the two because the wood has much more character to it.
5) How do you treat the Rustic Workshop furniture? How often should they be re-treated?
All our furniture is coated with Teak oil and should be re-coated at least once a year. This will make sure it lasts
6) Are you able to make bespoke wheelie bin storage units?
If asked, I would come up with a design, a rustic design.
7) Do you find your products very seasonal? or is it fairly consistent throughout the year?
Yes, the season for my furniture starts around the end of February and ends about September time.
8) The Rustic Workshop uses sustainable wood, is this FSC certified?
The softwood has the FSC mark. The Chestnut and Oak are from a managed forest in Kent.
9) Do you do bespoke work? If someone has an idea on paper, could you turn that into reality? Have you got pictures of a couple of examples of bespoke work you have done?
The most we have been asked to do is make my design a certain size to fit into the customers garden. However, we would take on a bespoke project.
10) The Rustic Workshop is based in Kent, do you deliver nationally? If not, which areas do you cover?
We firstly supply mainland UK. However, deliveries to Scotland do incur a small surcharge.